When the Storm Comes
Storm damage can occur at any time and can cause an immense amount of harm to your home. Heavy rains can cause flooding and powerful winds can cause roof damage and downed trees on your property. Some post-storm damage can create safety and health hazards as well, so having a strategy to deal with damage will help you to be ready to take steps immediately after the storm.
Dealing with wind or water damage to your home caused by severe storms can be both difficult and dangerous. Here are some tips on how to keep your family safe and begin to get your life back together after a storm hits.
Take Safety Precautions
Storm damaged homes are dangerous places; electrical hazards, sharp things and the real risk that something heavy could fall on you. Stay away from damaged trees and dangling or broken limbs. Here are other things to consider when your home is damaged:
- Do not venture outside until it has been declared safe to do so.
- Turn off your natural gas, electrical and water at their shutoff locations in your home.
- Do not touch any wiring or metal plumbing fixtures as they may be carrying electrical current.
Take pictures of the damage caused by the storm
If it is safe to move around your property, use your cellphone or a camera to photograph the damage so that you will have a record for your insurance company. This action will ensure that you are fully compensated.
- Photograph the outside of your home and any property that has been damaged during the storm, such as outbuildings or decks.
- Photograph the inside of your home and any interior property that has been damaged before you move anything.
- Interior and exterior pictures should be taken from multiple angles to ensure they accurately portray the extent of the damage.
- If trees or other debris, such as a neighbor's lawn ornaments, have damaged your home, photograph them as well.
- All pictures should be taken before any preliminary repair work begins.
Cleaning Up After a Storm
- If the roof has been damaged, cover the areas that could be exposed to the elements with a tarpaulin.
- Cover broken windows with plastic sheeting or plywood.
- Exterior walls that have sustained damage should be covered with plywood or plastic sheeting.
- Remove valuable items from the home prior to leaving for an extended period as the damage to your home may make it more easily accessible for thieves.
Contact Your Insurance Company
Contact your insurance agent to notify them about the damage to your home immediately. The company will send out an adjuster to determine the extent of the damage so that payment for repairs can be made.
- Have the pictures you took of the damage printed, or transferred to a CD, and provide them to your claims adjuster.
- Obtain quotes for repair work to your home and replacement cost estimates on any items that were damaged during the storm and give them to your claims adjuster.
- If you buy replacement items, such as a television, computer, microwave, light fixtures, or carpet, be sure to keep a copy of the receipt. Photocopy your receipts before submitting them to your claims adjuster.
Look Into Federal Disaster Assistance
The federal government may have declared the area affected by the storm as a disaster area that is eligible for low-cost loans to help restore your property to back to pre-storm condition or better. You will be required to file documents to receive these loans.
When a storm-related disaster strikes, it may seem overwhelming, but these steps can help you to begin the process of restoring your home, and your life, back to normal.
STORM DAMAGE REPAIR - Storm & Flood Services:
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Water Mitigation
- Mold Remediation
- Sewage Cleanup
- Carpet Cleaning
- Odor Removal
- Commercial Storm Damage Cleanup
We're Faster to Any Size Disaster
A fast response is crucial to flooding and storm damage, because it reduces secondary damage and restoration costs. Storms don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. Our technicians will respond immediately, day or night to help Meriden business owners and residents.
We're Highly Trained Storm Damage Specialists
As water and storm damage specialists, we have the experience and advanced training that enables us to restore your property quickly. We use scientific drying principles and provide validation and documentation that your property is dry and the job is complete.
As Water Damage Restoration Technician and Applied Structural Drying Technicians, SERVPRO of South San Rafael / Sausalito responds immediately to your flood and storm damage emergencies. We have the storm damage restoration experience and specialized equipment to restore your home or business back to pre-storm condition.